WINE!!!

And why we love it...

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Foreign Yet Familiar...


...And starting to feel a little like home. Who would have ever thought my wine daze would bring me to where I am today - in a little (ok, not so little, but you get the drift) place we call Shanghai, China! As a result, I have yet another "home away from home," where tonight I sip on the last of a 2010 Grande Cuvee Cabernet/Syrah blend from the Pays d'Oc region of France. Looking back to my arrival one month ago, I was indeed 100% a foreigner: illiterate, intimated by getting lost on the streets of the French Concession, and struggling to find “my place” amidst the sea of a foreign language, foreign surroundings and vast array of new, “foreign,” people.  Yet, there was one thing I knew I could count on to help me ease into this new world: wine. 
With that in mind, I set out to the nearby Tesco to pick up my initiation bottle: A 2010 Merlot from ‘Wines from France.’ Despite the hideous label with purple lettering reminiscent of the ‘Thriller’ album, it proved to be a perfect pre-out-on-the-town and quiet-night-at-home sipping wine. With  a soft, almost gossamer entry and aromas of blackberry, blueberry and hints of ripe plum, this light yet luscious wine was exactly what the doctor ordered. And at 59 RMB (approximately $9.50 USD) it’s one I will go back for. 
In the past month, I have catapulted myself into Shanghai’s wine scene - attending several tastings, meeting with some movers and shakers in the industry over here, and of course continuing my hunt for the best values (and out of curiosity the most expensive bottles) in boutique and chain retail shops, as well as supermarkets throughout the city. 
The best bang for my buck so far? That would have to be the 2010 Escale Grande Cuvee, purchased at a western style market called Parksons on Huihai Lu - and what a juicy and intense delight it was! Aromas of blue and black berries with hints of cassis invade the nose, leading into a mouthful of rich fruit and soft, velvety loveliness. A superb wine for everyday drinking as well as for pairing with a cheese plate or light appetizers. Again, at this price point (69 RMB/11 USD) you can stock up for the week. However, if the weather is anything like the sauna of summer in Shanghai (and I am pretty sure it is!) make sure you have proper storage...or thirsty guests!
As with many travel experiences, it is just as I am starting to settle in and get comfortable that the time begins to come to a close. Although with a month left, there is plenty of time to bask in the wine dazes of Shanghai...and to be more diligent in reflecting on them, of course! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment