WINE!!!

And why we love it...

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fucking Merlot for the Fucking Rain! (But finishing smooth...)

Okay, excuse the language, but how appropriate (and typical I might add) for my last laundry session (or outing you could even say since it is indeed quite a spectacle walking back and forth, back and forth, with a laundry bag that literally is the height of my bitty self.) Which is why I find myself for one last time at my neighborhood Greek bar Stiniyamas. I already proved to myself that I could get through laundry sessions without a glass of wine in between loads (which I found myself having to stop after the toll on the cash flow - even at $5 a glass,) so what the hell! Why not make all the last neighborhood stops for old time's sake! I am glad I did, because the rain is coming down harder...
Okay, so for this Merlot, which is "really good for the price" according to my hot, blonde bartender: K242 (Korta For Two) from Chile: Scent is reminiscent of ripe berries, of course, that lead to hints of toasty oak that waft through the nose, all ending in a smooth finish - a mirror to my (fairly) smooth finish here in the 'hood.
It is almost exactly a year to the day that I began the series of laundry outings from 20-52 - getting better and more efficient each time with practice, just as I am (hopefully) getting better at recognizing and describing aromas and flavors each time a wine hits first my nose, then the inside of my lips, eventually leading to a full palette of ripe berry - or cherry, melon, apple, honeysuckle, grassy, herbal or toasty goodness.
in front of me the red juice of the (Greek?) gods sits quietly in the almost goblet-sized glass, leaving me puzzled (and either impressed or embarassed, depending on the mindset) how on earth I finished three of those on another laundry outing...
Wine that is soft, smooth, and delightful - a mirror opposite to the 'bottles in da club' thumping music that bangs in the background, grating against the monotonal drone of Mr. Kyclades' vocal notes over there at the other end of the bar...Oh, Stiniyamas, you will never change (even if your wine selction has, to which I can rightfully say a loud STINIYAMAS! (In case you haven't figured it out: Cheers! in Greek)
My grizzly surroundings areassuaged by the $5 glass of Korta in front of me, allowing me to focus in on the mouthfeel of the wine.
When the ambiance is 'meh' - (I say this with a back-and-forth tilted gesture of my right hand) it allows the mind to focus inward on the wine - and consequently, on the self. So many external irritations you can't control - especially in this city, this borough, this bar - yet it has taught me patience; patience with myself, patience with my loved ones, and patience with the daze of life...
The things I can control are my reactions and my decisions...and of late, my wine...But after a period of strict "I-shouldn't-drink-wine-every-night" period in my wine daze, I am ready to move on to a stage of letting go and purely savoring every moment (and every wine) I can - without counting, without stressing, without obsessing.
So what if I have wine every night? Right? Right. It is, after all, a part of my life, my day, my daze...obviously, it does many things...but I think most of all , it soothes and smooths - and that is okay with me.
Oh! and look...the rain has ceased...


Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment