WINE!!!

And why we love it...

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Unexpected Splendor...

It was bound to be my night. After going back and forth about whether or not to make my last stop (for a while at least) at a quaint restaurant on 35th and Ditmars that has been on my list of places to savor in my remaining days of residence at 20-52, I took the plunge on my way home (though that description doesn't really fit anymore, but I will use it while I can.)  
Sometimes the nights you think are so planned out turn out in the most unexpected ways - and this night was no doubt one of those nights in my sequence of wine daze...
The place: 718  - sitting smack dab in the middle of the beautiful, cashmere-crimson hued semicircle bar, with the older Greek men getting their drink on before Game 6 of the Yankees' World Series impending victory on my right and a very Astorian-looking couple on my left going through the list of specialty cocktails. It's 2 for 1 at the bar, a perfect way to sample a few wines...
The wine: A soft, smooth and supple Sancerre, with barely-audible aromas of apple and melon, leading to the perfectly balanced mouthfeel that leaves the palate relaxed and content - the exact remedy for unwinding after a 9-hour intensive (American Association of Publishers-induced) publishing crash course.
It was a day that trailed a 4-hour night of sleep, preceded by a 14-hour work day. Next week begins the packing madness and I know I will not have the luxurious splendor that tonight is turning out to be. I relish being in the calm before the storm, tucked in between the intensity of the days behind me and the whirlwind days that await me.  Purely in the moment, soothed and smoothed by the 1/2 glass of Sancerre that remains, and fulfilled by the anticipation (though it is quiet in the back of my mind) of the red-white decision for my #2 on 2 for 1 evening at 718-on the countdown to the changes that await me...

(Just in case you're wondering, I went for the red - a 2006 Leo & Co Syrah, fruit forward and the perfect trail to the Sancerre,  perfect way to toast to my writing, my wine, and my life in Astoria.)

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment