WINE!!!

And why we love it...

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

How the days pass and the daze continues on...

Such is life: I allow weeks to slip by, and many many different wines ingested and savored gone without mention on this so-called wine blog...but not to fret, there will always be another day and another wine to sip.
Tonight, I am breaking open a bottle to mark the new chapter that is opening up in front of me: A new residence, a new outlook, a new commute (um, so much better and faster btw!) a new (but old) roommate (Ahea, I am not calling you old; I am, of course, just referring to the fact that we have passed days as roommates in our blissful childhood daze) and, so it happens, the start of a new wine ritual.
I find myself in wine transitions, stages, whatever you want to call them...like stages in life, I suppose you could say. Going from a stage of being an utter lush, banking in on every opportunity to drink another sip; then onto a stage of so-called detox, when I challenged myself to break the cycle of sipping every night; then slowly back into phase of letting go and allowing myself to take part in that pleasure...which is where I find myself tonight: with an open bottle of Raimat Albarino (2008) that was an incredibly welcome thirst quencher for the end of a long work day and a long anticipated move into a new phase...
It will no doubt go unfinished tonight, left to sit in the fridge until I can come back to it next week after the Turkey Day celebrations. I have learned that the crisp taste will dissipate after three days of sitting there, waiting to be poured and sipped. I should know better than to open a bottle knowing it won't be nearly as spectacular when I get back to it. But I am doing a sort of experiment, seeing if indeed I can tell the difference. 
Guaranteed, my palette will be interrupted by the wines that will be tasted and enjoyed with my adoptive Thanksgiving family the Rosses this weekend; yet, I suppose this is also a test of how well my pallet is developing.
I will keep you updated (and I promise I won't let weeks and several wines pass without at least a brief posting...)
Cheers to a Happy Thanksgiving!

Love, 
Kristin
Fresh citrus notes yield to a tang of honeysuckle that lingers on the palette. Slight aromas of vanilla are barely noticeable, but definitely present in the mouthfeel. Promising to be a superb accompaniment to a whole gamut of culinary pleasures, tonight it will be paired with classic thai dishes: mixed vegetables and tofu and "healthy ginger" with chicken - with a definite kick that may clash with the citrus notes of my wine. We shall see...as is the case with every wine experience, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment